Ok so here’s a little rant. Unlike me I know ! I’ve decided (for this week at least) I hate kit, in fact I declare myself a kit minamilist. But why?
- Because it’s way too expensive and messy. Yes you can pick up a mid-priced DSLR that shoots awesome footage that could be on HBO but by the time you’ve added on all those other bits of nonsense it racks up a hefty bill, and you’ve got to pull in some serious work to pay for it all. Plus it clutters your house.
- Because as a freelance Videomaker/Video Coach I have to really choose carefully and agonise over every decision I make, but that amateur guy, you know the Plastic Surgeon with the fat six figure salary can just swan right into the camera store in front of me and buy a 5dmk2 and a couple of lenses to use on his Sunday walk in the woods and I can’t ! In other words – kit makes me jealous!
- Because all those endless blogs that talk about kit, and rumours about kit and which kit to buy, and look at this shiny bit of kit and blah blah blah are so dull. They don’t have soul.
- Because so many people with a tonne of kit don’t make good Videos, they need to meditate more or something and get in touch with their inner Videomaker. They are so lost in a world of frame rates and codecs and nonsense they can’t move forward creatively.
- Because kit gets outdated so fast and you can easily put off making Videos until you have the next bit of kit, otherwise you are utterly convinced your Videos will be rubbish so why bother!
That’s it, rant over, now I need to order that new lens I’ve been lusting over.